How to deploy software updates?
Businesses have different reasons to deploy software updates: reporting, big data, compliance etc. This is why, they have to respect some criteria to succeed in this project.
20 June 2023
Prepare the deployment of software updates
In order to prepare this project, it is necessary to identify the most adapted type of deployment to your IT infrastructure.
The different types of software deployments
They are different software deployments for this type of project :
- Basic deployment: the simplest type of software deployment.
- Rolling deployment: it replaces previous versions of an application with new versions of an application by completely replacing the infrastructure on which the application is running.
- Blue-green deployment : a release of new software versions by maintaining two separate identical environments, called the blue and the green.
- Canary deployment : a progressive roll out of an application that splits traffic between an already-deployed version and a new version.
Drawing up specifications and the impact of this new version
The specifications are drawn up on the basis of the business case. You can create a roadmap to lead your IT project. It also enables you to prepare for the deployment of a new software version in the best conditions.
The adoption of a new software version can have an important impact on a company. It can offer:
- New functionalities
- Reduced IT and additional license costs
- A better employee productivity
- A better organization of business processes
Deploying a new software version requires:
- Installing and upgrading systems
- User training and support
Identify the project team
The choice of team members will depend on the scope of each member's responsibilities. It is also important to consider the number of departments affected by the use of this new software version. The presence of a project manager and an IT network administrator is essential to set up a project team.
The greater the number of users within the company, the larger the project team will be. Each department should be represented by a team member. The representatives of the project team will have to confirm that the functionalities of the new software version meet everyone's expectations.
Deploying a new software release
Many factors come into play in the deployment of a new software version
The steps of a deployment software
A number of criteria need to be considered for the successful deployment of a new software version:
- Budget: a key element when rolling out a new version. Costs vary according to different criteria, such as functionalities and technical support, as well as support and training fees.
- Dedicated deployment and training teams.
- Servers and hardware to host and run the software.
Training your teams
Training dedicated teams involves a major change management process. This project requires a training plan tailored to your company. Personalized follow-up helps prepare your teams for the changes to come in their daily tasks.
Measure the profitability of your project
Deploying a new software version also includes analyzing and monitoring results.
This project also provides an opportunity to improve processes and check whether objectives have been achieved. An analysis of employee productivity is carried out to verify the profitability of the project.
Usage statistics are collected in real time. This enables the technical team to better target the difficulties encountered by users.
They can then make strategic decisions. Involving your staff allows them to check that the installation is running smoothly, and to optimize the management of technical problems and the user experience.